May Day bank holiday is approaching fast so we thought we would share some of our electrical tips if you are planning on carrying out some DIY, although it’s forecast to be HOT HOT HOT you may just stick to the garden.
Just remember safety first before you get stuck in any DIY ventures this bank holiday and follow our guide to keep you in one piece and those around you.
Our Top DIY Tips
- Carry out a quick visual inspection around your home to look for any damage to electrical sockets, plugs and lighting
- If you don’t know what you’re doing, stop
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using electrical tools this includes your gardening tools
- Before using electrical equipment make sure you do a pre user check by checking the power cord to see if it’s in good condition with no twists or damage to the outer sheath
- Check the plug is not damaged and is fitted correctly with no cables poking out
- See if the casing is damaged or cracked in any way
- Follow the manufactures instructions when using electrical tools
- Always use an RCD if you don’t have one fitted to the circuit you are plugged into
- If any of the items above are of concern then don’t start work
- Ensure you test your smoke detectors if you haven’t already checked this month
- Got the family at home? Create a safe working area for yourself so they won’t get hurt or obstruct you and
- make sure if you leave any power tools around, that they’re unplugged or in a safe place and out of reach
- Keep your workspace tidy
- If you’re using ladders make sure you follow the manufactures instructions at all times
- Make sure you wear the correct safety clothing
- Protective goggles on
- Protective gloves on
- Dust mask on if required
- Keep a first aid kit near
Need an electrician over May Day?
We are closed on Monday 7th May but if you have an electrical emergency in Eastbourne or surrounding areas please give our emergency out of hours number a call on 01323 644570 to speak with an engineer, if the line is busy please leave a voicemail as this way we can contact you straight away, without a message leaving your number we won’t be able to help you and we want to avoid a disappointment.
We wish you all a happy Bank Holiday whatever you may be doing from all of us at Tectonic and don’t forget to give yourselves a well-deserved break.