We know there is probably something much better you might be doing during the summer heatwave, especially in Eastbourne. But if you do find yourself dabbling with some DIY in your home or gardening over the summer we have put together some of our top tips for electrical safety to help you on your way.
Our Top DIY Tips
- Carry out a quick visual inspection of your home to look for any damage to electrical sockets, plugs and lighting
- If you don’t know what you’re doing, stop
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using electrical tools this includes your gardening tools
- Before using electrical equipment make sure you do a pre user check by checking the power cord to see if it’s in good condition with no twists or damage to the outer sheath
- Check the plug is not damaged and is fitted correctly with no cables poking out
- See if the casing is damaged or cracked in any way
- Follow the manufactures instructions when using electrical tools
- Always use an RCD if you don’t have one fitted to the circuit you are plugged into
- If any of the items above are of concern then don’t start work
- Ensure you test your smoke detectors if you haven’t already checked this month
- Got the family at home? Create a safe working area for yourself so they won’t get hurt or obstruct you and
- make sure if you leave any power tools around, that they’re unplugged or in a safe place and out of reach
- Keep your workspace tidy
- If you’re using ladders make sure you follow the manufactures instructions at all times
- Make sure you wear the correct safety clothing
- Protective goggles on
- Protective gloves on
- Dust mask on if required
- Keep a first aid kit near
Once you’ve cleared up you can sit back and relax with a nice cold drink and enjoy your summer, whatever you get up to.
If you find yourself with an electrical emergency in Eastbourne or surrounding areas, we do have an out of hours service if you require an electrical engineer to visit or if you need advice, you can get an engineer on our office number 01323 644570. If you don’t get through straight away please leave us a message with your contact details so we can get back to you as soon as possible.
If you find that the DIY requires a professional but it isn’t urgent then please feel free to email us through us contact us page and we will get back to within 1 working day (if you email after 5pm on Friday-Sunday) we will get back to you on the next working day if not sooner.