DIY During February Half Term
It’s half term week this week in Eastbourne. Are you a teacher getting a well-deserved break or a parent who’s looking after the kids or maybe you just have this week as a holiday from work.
Whatever the reason you are off this week if you’re looking at doing some well-needed DIY or gardening this week that requires using power tools, hand tools or your electrics we wanted to share some of our tips to get you and your loved ones safe.
Tectonic’s Top Tips
- Carry out a quick visual inspection around your home to look for any damage to electrical sockets, plugs and lighting
- If you don’t know what you’re doing, stop
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using electrical tools this includes your gardening tools
- Before using electrical equipment make sure you do a pre user check by checking the power cord to see if it’s in good condition with no twists or damage to the outer sheath
- Check the plug is not damaged and is fitted correctly with no cables poking out
- See if the casing is damaged or cracked in any way
- Follow the manufactures instructions when using electrical tools
- Always use an RCD if you don’t have one fitted to the circuit you are plugged into
- If any of the items above are of concern then don’t start work
- Ensure you test your smoke detectors if you haven’t already checked this month
- Got the family at home? Create a safe working area for yourself so they won’t get hurt or obstruct you
- Make sure if you leave any power tools around, that they’re unplugged or in a safe place and out of reach
- Keep your workspace tidy
- If you’re using ladders make sure you follow the manufactures instructions at all times
- Make sure you wear the correct safety clothing
- Protective goggles on
- Protective gloves on
- Dust mask on if required
- Keep a first aid kit near
Do you need help?
If you get stuck or have a question about your electrics or any of the other services we offer then please remember we are here. You can call the office on 01323 644570 (there is an out of hours service to one of our engineers in the evenings and weekends for electrical emergencies) or use our contact form by clicking here.
Have a great week Eastbourne.